Here are ten ideas for ways to relax, unwind, and prepare yourself for a restful sleep.
1. Take a warm shower or bath. - The warm water can relax your muscles and prepare you for rest.
2. Meditate or practice some deep breathing. - Helps to release tension and calm your mind before bed.
3. Read a book. - Can help you disconnect, and I don't know about you, but reading really helps me to get sleepy.
4. Listen to calming music. - I like a lot of the options that are on YouTube. But any relaxing music or even nature sounds will do just fine.
5. Do some yoga or gentle stretches. - Can help release physical tension. Don't overdo it though, exercising too much before bed can actually make it more difficult to sleep.
6. Have a cup of herbal tea. - Make sure to avoid caffeine. But a flavor like chamomile or lavender can help soothe you.
7. Write in your journal. - Processing your thoughts and emotions can help you to have a more peaceful mindset.
8. Disconnect from electronics. - The blue light can interfere with your sleep. Plus I tend to see things on social media that can rile me up...which isn't ideal before bedtime lol.
9. Practice gratitude. - You can write down your thoughts in a journal, or gratitude book, or even just take a moment to reflect on all that you have to be grateful for.
10. Use aromatherapy. - You can diffuse some essential oils or even just light a nice-smelling candle. Be careful about which aromas you choose though if you have pets. Some essential oils, for example, are toxic to dogs.